This project was an assignment in Intro to Illustration. We were instructed to illustrate and tell a series of steps or a story.
I decided to take a pickle and give them humanistic qualities in order for them to visually show how a young cucumber goes through the pickling process and turns into an adult pickle. The steps are as follows:
- Collect a cucumber.
- Boil the jars.
- Trim of the flower and stalk.
- Fill the sterilized jar with water.
- Add the desired amount of seasonings like Dill Seed, Red Pepper Flakes and Onion.
- Rinse the cucumber and place it in the jar.
- Agitate the jar.
- Set a timer for the desired time.
- The cucumber is now a pickle!
*The process is simplified for the purpose of the illustration. For an accurate pickling process, please find a recipe from online or in your favorite cook book.
The media I used were Prismacolor colored pencils, Prismacolor Illustration markers, and Pigma Micron Archival Black pens. This piece was selected to be in the juried Gold Show of 2015.
Completed Spring Semester 2015.